Volunteer Name: Olivia Wilson
Project location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Volunteered at: Orphanage program
How was the local Coordinator and the staff and the support provided in-country?
The coordinator was extremely helpful. I was never scared to ask a question, and he even provided me with a new perspective of the country. I had many people supporting &caring for me.
2. What was the most surprising thing you experienced while in the program?
The most surprising thing was how much of a diverse place Nepal is. I did not know a place such as Pokhara existed only a few hours from the bustling city of Kathmandu.
3. What was most difficult thing you experienced while in the program?
The most difficult thing was becoming accustomed to public transport system, especially in a place where I did not know the language. However, it did not long to figure this out
4. Any tips for future volunteers….(clothing, travel information, packing, sightseeing, donations)
No matters what it is a good idea to have a copy of your passport on hand, especially if you are picking up a package from FedEx. Pack lots of layers, the weather can be unpredictable. Definitely go see Pokhara.
4.1Other things volunteers should know:
Never be afraid to push yourself in a new environment, there will be times where uncertainty or fear will cloud your thoughts but go all in! Experience everything possible.
5. Personal paragraph (volunteer program testimonial):
I chose a broader view Nepal with little knowledge of the country previous to this experience, but I am extremely glad because I was given the opportunity to embrace so many people, place, culture in short amount of time I was here.
6. How would you describe your accommodation, meals, security?
The home stay could not have been better! I had a delicious meal every single night (no complaints about that). Even with a small earthquake/ Aftershock, I felt secure 100% of the time.
7. What was your memory of this trip?
My memory of this trip was a six week journey to fully immerse myself in a completely different culture. I met incredible people and had unbelievable new experiences.
8. How was the information you received from ABV prior to traveling? (Emails, website, support) was there anything missing or should be included to prepare other volunteers?
The information was very useful. I did not need to research much else aside from the packet. The emails definitely helpful in navigating the airport &travel information.
9. Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers about your volunteer experience?