Many times children with special needs cannot be cared for at home, or are abandoned by their parents at birth. Special needs children, living in a care center, rely soley on their caregivers for every basic need.
Volunteers share a meal, hold a hand, share a lap, and assist with exercise and physical therapy. Providing these children with personalized attention raises their spirits, and keep them 100% engaged in their activities. This Center is home to about 50 students with different limitations. Some of the children are deaf, others are blind, some have Autism, and others with Down Syndrome, etc.
Although previous experience is not required, volunteers with ASL (sign language) training, those with physical therapy training or experience working with special needs children are needed. Spanish language immersion lessons can be taken in the afternoon.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: March through December. 2 week winter break in mid July
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Arrival airport: Via Lima to Ayacucho (AYA)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, Start Perú, LC Perú
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ayacucho
- Airport meet and greet in Ayacucho. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 25 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-13pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Tours to Cusco, to the Nazca Lines Linesmac Valley (Coca Valley or Upper Amazon Forest) to the Wari Ruins