In this program volunteers help the veterinary staff with daily clinic duties. This position is fast-paced and requires a volunteer who learns quickly (and understands Spanish). For most of the year, the clinic is caring for as many as 50-75 animals at a time with various medical needs. Volunteers are welcome, and are a necessary for the success of the program.
This position has varying levels of animal contact, and can be informative for those currently in, or considering a career in the field of veterinary medicine. Duties include: cleaning and wrapping surgical instruments; cleaning prep and surgery rooms in clinic; assisting with lab work; maintaining cage cleanliness; preparing medicine and subcutaneous fluids; assisting with laundry; sweeping and mopping; and safely handling animal.
This is great opportunity to learn about animal issues on a global scale while immersing yourself in the local Tica culture.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Veterinary Clinic
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Fridays. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic/Intermediate Spanish, Spanish lessons available, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: Once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.