This project is perfect for veterinary students, or animal lovers interested in providing care and shelter to animals in need. Based in the city of Ayacucho, You will volunteer in the local program where they have wild Andean animal and birds like vicuña, alpaca, condor, Amazon parrots and birds, puma, etc. Volunteers will help workers in feeding animals and birds, cleaning their nests and houses, guiding children/tourist in tours, do rounds with the veterinarian, help with injured animals, maternity.
Also, volunteers can work hand-to hand with students of the local university who do internship at the program. You can combine this program with other programs, and with the Spanish immersion lessons.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any day to arrive (not: Dec 24-26 or Jan 1st)
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Arrival airport: Ayacucho (AYA) via Lima connection
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lima to Ayacucho: Lan Peru, Start Perú, LC Perú
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ayacucho
- Airport meet and greet in Ayacucho. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 25 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 8 am – 13 pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Tours to Cusco, to the Nazca Lines, to the Apurimac Valley (Coca Valley or Upper Amazon Forest) to the Wari Ruins and the Quinua Village