The Elderly Care Center is a non-profit organization created in 1960 for the care and attention of low-income older people living in La Mesa. Most of the residents have no other living options. Some have been abandoned by their own family. The home provides place to live, meals, clothing, medical treatment and therapy needs.
Volunteers will help with recreational and cultural activities, help to prepare food, and feed some of the ladies, some ladies simply need people to talk to them, or read to them for a few hours. We need volunteers with strong Spanish knowledge.
*This program can be combined with the medical projects, as volunteers are needed to provide health checks like checking blood pressures, sugar levels, administering medication and physical therapy needs.
This is a great opportunity to improve your skills, knowledge, resume, language, learn about medicine in a developing country.
Volunteer Opportunities: Elderly Care program
- Project Duration: From 1 week up to 8 weeks
- Project Dates: Year Round. Arrival/Departures weekends
- Arrival airport: El Dorado, Bogota City Airport (BOG)
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Accommodations: Local Host Family
- Meals: Week 3 meals, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca, Air France, Iberia.
- Immunizations: Routine Vac, Hep - A and typhoid www.nc.cdc.gov
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday. 30-40 hours a week
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7.
- Departure: Transfer to El Dorado Airport Bogota.
- Flights to Colombia. Roundtrip transfer cost from airport to project location. Visa and/or airport entry fees and exit. Vaccinations. Local Transport. Travel & Medical Insurance. Laundry and internet connection.
|South America / US$|
|Colombia - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.