The Elderly Care Center is a non-profit organization created in 1960 for the care and attention of low-income older people living in La Mesa. Most of the residents have no other living options. Some have been abandoned by their own family. The home provides place to live, meals, clothing, medical treatment and therapy needs.
Volunteers will help with recreational and cultural activities, help to prepare food, and feed some of the ladies, some ladies simply need people to talk to them, or read to them for a few hours. We need volunteers with strong Spanish knowledge.
*This program can be combined with the medical projects, as volunteers are needed to provide health checks like checking blood pressures, sugar levels, administering medication and physical therapy needs.
This is a great opportunity to improve your skills, knowledge, resume, language, learn about medicine in a developing country.
Volunteer Opportunities: Elderly Care program
- Project Duration: From 1 week up to 8 weeks
- Project Dates: Year Round. Arrival/Departures weekends
- Arrival airport: El Dorado, Bogota City Airport (BOG)
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Accommodations: Local Host Family
- Meals: Week 3 meals, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca, Air France, Iberia.
- Immunizations: Routine Vac, Hep - A and typhoid www.nc.cdc.gov
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday. 30-40 hours a week
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7.
- Departure: Transfer to El Dorado Airport Bogota.
- Flights to Colombia. Roundtrip transfer cost from airport to project location. Visa and/or airport entry fees and exit. Vaccinations. Local Transport. Travel & Medical Insurance. Laundry and internet connection.