Whether you are eager to gain professional experience, learn about public health issues, or simply looking to be challenged in a multicultural environment, an international medical volunteer program can be a definitive experience.
Public health clinics are located in different neighborhoods of the city. These clinics provide vital health services such as check ups, vaccinations, dental, first aid office, laboratory, babies’ delivery area, emergency area, etc. Volunteer work may include taking vitals, attending rounds, charting patients, giving injections, providing general health checks, cleaning wounds, removing sutures, assisting in deliveries, doing home visits, participating in vaccination campaigns and so on.
Volunteers seeking a hands on "clinical" experience are required to be healthcare professionals or currently enrolled medical/nursing/dental students - and provide us their credentials or current enrollment status information. As a medical/nurse/dental volunteer you should expect to shadow, as well as have some hands on work. Expect to be part of a team. These programs are as much about learning about universal health care, as it is to offer hands on assistance to the local medical staff who you will be working with. Strong Spanish is required for all healthcare placements or take local Spanish lessons
- Project length: From 2 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Via Lima to Ayacucho (AYA)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Requirements: Medical administrative fee. $100 per month.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ayacucho
- Airport meet and greet in Ayacucho. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 20 hours per week, mostly in the morning
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8 am-12 pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Tours to Cusco, to the Nazca Lines and to the Apurimac Valley (Coca Valley or Upper Amazon forest), etc.
|South America / US$|
|Peru - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1735||1895|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.