This program is open to all international volunteers who enjoy working with people with all kind of special needs individuals, and those with developmental disabilities. The center’s mission is to provide their residents with a place to live, a place to grow and learn and live in peace and harmony.
General Tasks & Main Responsibilities: The volunteer will assist the staff with the daily tasks.
They will help take care of the people at the center. Also, the volunteer will develop activities for them. The volunteer must be patient and be willing to work with all type of health problems. Some of the basic responsibilities are:
- Interact with the people who stay at this home
- Talk and help the people at the center.
- Creating activities to share with the residents.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Center for People with Disabilities
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Varies depending on the school shifts. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects. Use cybercafes in town.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.