Volunteer in Tanzania, The orphanage currently has 60 children from the ages of 3 to 17 years. The centers are run by loving dedicated staff who have opened their hearts to these vulnerable kids and orphans. They provide shelter, food, love and education to the children. The orphanage also runs a Day Care Center (closed in December) but caters to small toddlers and pre-schoolers.
Volunteers support the orphanage by providing an extra set of hands with the daily chores; cooking, meal preparation, washing clothes. Activities with the pre-school age children including reading books, creating games, sports or coaching, helping with homework, teaching songs, dance or other past times. The Farm at the orphanage is used to harvest maize, rice, bananas and also to raise cattle an important source of food and income for the orphanage. We do recommend volunteers to learn a few words and phrases of Swahili, which will be very helpful with the children. Travel from the volunteer accommodations to the orphanage is about 15/20 minutes bus ride each direction.
*Volunteers need a Tourist Visa to enter Tanzania (US$100) as of 2016 you can get it at the Tanzania airport. *Once in the country all volunteers must apply for a “Volunteer Permit” is US$250. All participants in the Tanzania program must secure a permit to volunteer.
Volunteer Opportunities: Child Care Programs
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Kilimanjaro (Code: JRO)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa and Volunteer Permit
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Moshi (JRO airport)
- Airport meet and greet. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical work hours
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Accommodation: Local hostel in Moshi. Shared rooms/bathrooms
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch box and dinner daily
- Flights to Tanzania. Entry Visa. Volunteer Permit. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Swahili lessons (US$8 per hour)