For pre-health students seeking to gain insight into health care services offered in Costa Rica, this program offers some options to volunteers. In Heredia programs include a public clinic, palliative care center and an elderly care facility. Depending on your currently level of Spanish, and interests, the volunteer work is focused on shadowing and limited clinical work experience. Volunteer participating in this program gain the understanding of global health, out patient clinic environments overseas and health professionals in a developing country. Volunteer less than proficient in Spanish must join the Language Immersion program. This is a combination of volunteer hours and Spanish lessons with a local tutor.
General Notes & Requirements:
- Palliative care project - donation $100 per week
- Advanced Spanish speaking volunteers preferred for all medical programs
- Shadowing and observation is main focus of these projects.
This is a great chance to improve your skills, build your resume by learning about medicine in a developing nation and improve your Spanish.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Health Campaigns Program
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Thursday during the mornings. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: Free once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.