This Center was created in 2000 by a local woman wanting to offer support to the people of Heredia and the surrounding communities. It is a food bank in the city and provides daily meals to over 100 people daily. All volunteer help is welcome and appreciated.
General Tasks & Main Responsibilities: The most important requirements for this volunteer program are: Hard working skills, compassion and enthusiasm.
Volunteers will assist cooking meals, serving food, greeting guests, cleaning tables, washing dishes and table set up. This is a great program to meet people from all ages and backgrounds, and focused on all female staff!
Important: Program closed on the first 2 weeks of July, and from the 3rd week of December to the 2nd week of February every year.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Soup Kitchen Program
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Fridays. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.