Volunteer in Nepal ,it’s a tradition of Buddhist of sending to their Daughter (nun) to the Monastery. Most of them are from poor families throughout Nepal. Most of the parents send their children to monastery for the sake of the better living condition and education.
There are about 50 nuns in Monastery ranging between 4 years and 18 years old. Their level of English is very poor compare to other school children.
Volunteers will get opportunity to teach English to the Nuns. You will work under the supervision of monastery teacher/administrator and get memorable experience. Volunteer can participate in various activities that occurred within the Monastery.
- US$100 program fee paid with your program cost
Note: ONLY female volunteers for this program. Volunteers can bring anything that aids the teaching e.g. books, picture books, maps etc and make their learning more creative and interesting. It is recommended all the volunteers to take Nepali language class which helps communication during the placement with the staff and the students. This placement required 3 minute of traveling everyday from host family to the placement.
Volunteer Opportunities: Education Programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Next day orientation and city tour
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
Extra- Not Included activities:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.