Having English is a chance to escape a life of poverty. Having a strong education can open up many career opportunities. Your individualized support and English language lessons will provide opportunities for future employment and help to reinforce attendance.
Village schools, those that do not have an English teacher, welcome volunteers in their schools. Our volunteers will work side by side the local teacher in a local primary or secondary school. A syllabus will be provided, and your input is welcome as well.
Volunteers’ lessons will focus on grammar, proper pronunciation and basic spelling. You will also plan and organize afterschool activities like soccer, basketball and other organized sports. Spanish speaking volunteers are preferred. Language Immersion lesson can be arranged in the afternoon.
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project dates: March to December, 2 week winter break in mid July
- Arrival airport: Ayacucho (AYA)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Requirements: Proficient Spanish
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, LC Busre, Star Perú
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ayacucho
- Airport meet and greet in Ayacucho. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 7am-1pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Tours to Cusco, to the Nazca Lines and to the Apurimac Valley (Coca Valley or Upper Amazon forest), etc.