This program is a great choice for students and graduates looking for international experience in the area woman’s rights, social work and rehabiliton. Whether you are a student considering a career in these fields, this program will add meaningful experience to your resume and give you an insight into human rights awareness practices in a developing country.
In this program you will provide mental and emotional support for women in prisons through motivation, and other forms of organized activities. Volunteer abroad who sign up for volunteer work with imprisoned women will assist in teaching them to read and write; teaching English, aerobics, arts and crafts and teaching other special life skills
This institution has over 120 women prisoners, many of whom have young children and babies living with them. Volunteers will engage the woman in conversations, teaching English lessons, and help with vocational training. Most prisoners make some handicrafts and weaving (which are sold in the prison or outside) in order to gain some money to support their family outside. Volunteers should share the vision which the human rights of prisoners are respected, prisoners are treated in a humane and compassionate manner and their time in detention is used to prepare them for life outside of prison.
This is a rewarding program, however this can be an emotionally and psychologically challenging. Proficient Spanish is required. Woman volunteers only.
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Ayacucho (AYA)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Requirements: Woman Only. Intermediate Spanish
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, Start Perú, LC Perú
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Ayacucho
- Airport meet and greet in Ayacucho. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 20 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoon free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 8am - 12m
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Tours to Cusco, to the Nazca Lines and Apurimac Vally (Coca vally or Upper Amazon forest), etc
|South America / US$|
|Peru - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1735||1895|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.