Volunteer Zambia, This is a unique opportunity to gain deep insight to the challenges facing the youth and young adults in Lusaka. Work with a grassroots advocacy organization that was established to address the injustices faced by youth including human rights issues, abuse, and arbitrary incarceration. You will work with the Country Coordinator who will supervise you throughout this portion of the program. As a volunteer you would support the joint project which will be helping juveniles that come into conflict with the law, combined with weekly assistance at a local orphanage, this project allows you to focus on supporting youth from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Some of the volunteer tasks in this program:
- Orphanage support work to encourage education, equality, vocational training and ways for children to grow up and break the circle of poverty leading to injustices in their own community
- Assist on case tracking & monitoring of youth who are incarcerated, to over social support and advice. Assisting lessons at the young adults education center.
- Researching and writing funding reports and proposals
- Participate on occasional advocacy and awareness raising training workshops
- Help organize and establish an Early Childhood Development(ECD) program for the Children(Babies Behind Bars) of incarcerated mothers in Zambian prisons.
Volunteer Opportunities: Youth programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Lusaka (Code: LUN)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: South African Air, Ethiopian, Emirates, KLM and Delta
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Hep A, Yellow Fever wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Zambia. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet