Heredia is the smallest province of the country; the Central Volcanic Mountain Range goes all the way in the middle of this state. For a long time, Heredia was the Coffee Heart of Costa Rica. Heredia is just 11 kilometers away from Downtown San José City, it has a really nice weather that goes from warm at the north to cold in the mountains. The Capital of the Province is Heredia, and it’s called “La Ciudad de las Flores” (The City of Flowers).
Heredia has a strong colonial tradition with a solid prolongation of architectural Spanish, and colonial elements.
Heredia is house to the National University of Costa Rica, so it is full of activities for young people that go to this Alma Mater from all around the country, but also a city with a lot of culture and art developed by the Academia.
Volunteer projects in Heredia include: Center for People with Disabilities, Day Care, Dental Clinics, Domestic Animal Shelters, English Teacher Assistant, Health Campaigns, Journalism, Psychological and Mental Care Center, Schools Renovation, Soup Kitchen, Sports & Recreation, Veterinary Clinic, Women Empowerment.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Soup Kitchen Program
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Monday to Fridays. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: Free once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.