Volunteer Colombia, This child care centre is located in a safe area of Cartagena. It is surrounded by poor neighborhoods and the community has a big need. Many of the children that are received in this institution have a very low life quality. Their families have deplorable economic situations and sometimes they cannot afford the meals for the day.
This centre is managed by the government and the ICBF which is the main institution of social welfare in Colombia. Many of the children there even have psychological problems because of their poor life conditions.
The children start to arrive at 8:00 am and their parents start to pick them up at 3:00 Pm. We need volunteers to take care of the children and help them eat. Also they need to have plenty of activities such as such as storytelling, role plays, English teaching, handheld works, etc. They also mentioned that they need a dining room for the children because now they have to eat in the place where the institution arranges the meetings with the parents. They have a lack of proper educational tools like books, flashcards, posters, colors, books, etc.
This is a perfect program for those volunteers who plan to have Spanish lessons, because they could also work part-time and dedicate the afternoon for their lessons. The host family lives 15 minutes away from the institution.
Vacation time: June 12th – July 25th; Holy Week: March 29th – April 6th
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 8 weeks
- Work schedule: Monday - Friday / 8 hours
- Arrival airport: Cartagena (CTG)
- Accommodation: local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Avianca, Jet Blue, Spirit, Copa, American, United
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Airport meet and greet in Cartagena.
- City tour and orientation.
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 - 40 hours per week.
- Weekends free for sightseeing.
- Typical work schedule can be 8:00am – 2:30pm with a break for lunch.
- Local ABV coordinator support 24/7 during placement.
- ABV Staff Airport Transfer
- Flights to Colombia. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.