Volunteer at an animal refuge shelter outside of Escazu which has a variety of rescheduled animals, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and birds. Volunteer tasks vary from administration and cleaning to feeding of the animals, enclosure maintenance, working one on one with the animals and other tasks as needed.
Our volunteer’s role includes welcoming visitors, help to clean cages and feed animals, as well as help to answer visitor’s questions about the shelter and the environmental education information about the resident animals. Volunteers will help the field assistants and local veterinarian in caring for injured wildlife, and providing health checks to the local animal residents.
If animal protection is your passion and you want to potentially see some of the most remote corners of the globe then wildlife volunteering is for you. Volunteers with interest in veterinarian careers, or those with veterinarian training are welcome!
- Volunteer requirements: closed toed shoes, long pants (no shorts)
Volunteer Abroad: Animal Rescue Shelter
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: From Monday to Friday. Minimum 6 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site. US$50 donation.
- Age Limits: 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance (US$53 approx). Internet & Laundry: only available in some host families: US$10 a week). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary. US$50 donation paid over the total fee.