Volunteer at an animal refuge shelter outside of Escazu which has a variety of rescheduled animals, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and birds. Volunteer tasks vary from administration and cleaning to feeding of the animals, enclosure maintenance, working one on one with the animals and other tasks as needed.
Our volunteer’s role includes welcoming visitors, help to clean cages and feed animals, as well as help to answer visitor’s questions about the shelter and the environmental education information about the resident animals. Volunteers will help the field assistants and local veterinarian in caring for injured wildlife, and providing health checks to the local animal residents.
If animal protection is your passion and you want to potentially see some of the most remote corners of the globe then wildlife volunteering is for you. Volunteers with interest in veterinarian careers, or those with veterinarian training are welcome!
- Volunteer requirements: closed toed shoes, long pants (no shorts)
Volunteer Abroad: Animal Rescue Shelter
- Project length: From 1 week to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: From Monday to Friday. Minimum 6 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site. US$50 donation.
- Age Limits: 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance (US$53 approx). Internet & Laundry: only available in some host families: US$10 a week). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary. US$50 donation paid over the total fee.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|Central America / US$|
|Costa Rica - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1685||1995|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 6, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.