Volunteer India, This project is perfect for veterinary students, or animal lovers interested in providing care and shelter to animals in need. Based in the city of Jaipur, the shelter cares for animals and birds. The shelter’s help line receives calls from within the community about injured or stray animals in needs. Some of the animals cared for at the shelter include peacocks, dogs, cats, cows, monkeys, rabbits, eagles, parrots, pigeons, and crows. Due to lack of funding the volunteers are a great asset to the overworked staff in maintain the center.
Volunteer work tasks include taking care of the animals & birds, cleaning their cages, feeding them, washing them, giving vaccines, record maintaining, preparing their food, educating the people about animal rights, motivating the locals to adopt them. Volunteers have also joined the rescue team operations but that solely on the decision of the centre.
The project needs strong willed and strong minded volunteers. This is a challenging project with physical work challenges and long hours.
*Project Note: Volunteers must have proof of rabies vaccination in order to participate (no exceptions will be made)
*Imp: The transportation in not included to the program. The transportation cost is around US$2 - 3 a day by Tuk-tuk (motorcycle ride) can be divided between 2 - 3 volunteers (8km ride approx).
Volunteer Opportunities: Animal Rescue programs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Jaipur International Airport (JAI)
- Accommodation: Shared volunteer apartment
- Meals: 3 per day (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
- Requirement: $50 per week government fee (India)
- Airlines: Jet airways, Spice jet, Etihad, Indigo, Go Air, Air India etc.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Jaipur City
- Airport meet and greet in Jaipur City.
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 20-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing, camel safari, elephant safari, Taj Mahal etc.
- Typical shift work can be: 8:30am - 2:30pm can extend till 5:00pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Transfer from/to Jaipur airport
- Pick-up from Jaipur Airport
- Traditional Indian welcome on reaching the ABV house or host family
- A detailed orientation about India, ABV projects, facts about India, cultural responsibility and things to remember in India
- Accommodation with local host family or in shared volunteer house. Expect shared rooms (double/triple accommodations)
- All meals (Authentic Indian meals) Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
- Project visit with supervisor
- Resource materials to use on project
- Weekly market visit to shop for your necessities
- Cultural classes like Hindi class, Indian dress workshop, Yoga class, cooking class only for the volunteers who stays in ABV house.
- One party & dinner out to experience the new India
- Sessions on India about the India in reality v/s India in news
- Airport drop at Jaipur airport
- Emergency support
- 24x7 assistance
- Air fare, Visa, Insurance, Local transportation, Vaccinations, local sightseeing and all personal expenses. Cultural classes like Hindi class, Indian dress workshop, Yoga class, cooking class (within the volunteer house accommodations) (extra fees apply)