Volunteer in Guatemala. This program is promoting and enhancing the general wellbeing of children, woman and families living in poverty, and because of this poverty live in very difficult circumstances.
This project is active in the deprived area Las Rosas where they support children who work and live in extreme poverty and/or in risk to get on the streets. The project also supports the women and families in the same area, providing them (financial) self-sustainability. They run a kid’s lunchroom, and an afterschool program. Every afternoon, about 70-80 kids come to the project, all aged between 6 and 14 years old.
Volunteers are helpful in many ways. There is the lunchroom, where they prepare a lunch for 50 children every day. There is also the afternoon program, where they organize educational and recreational activities for an average of 80 children daily. Between lunch and the afterschool program, the children receive homework assistance.
The following schedules are available:
- 10:00am – 15:00pm: lunchroom assistance
- 10:00am – 17:00pm: lunchroom and afterschool program
- 12:30pm – 17:00pm: end of lunch, homework and afterschool program
- 14:00pm – 17:00pm: afterschool program
During the afterschool program, volunteers assist the children in the activities planned by the team, so help the children execute their work, supervise them, teach them to behave, and play with them. Volunteers are also more than welcome to plan and execute their own recreational activity in the area or sports, games or handicrafts.
*Volunteers need to arrive on a morning flight to Guatemala City (no later than 13pm). Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 14:00PM.
Volunteer Opportunities Children Center
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish or Spanish lessons in country, US$80 donation fees.
- Accommodation: Local Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City. Bus tickets to Xela
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 4:30pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet