In La Serena volunteers support an orphanage/children's center. Currently the center offers nursery to about 20-25 underage children, some of which are orphans and live at the center full time. This is a very proactive project with over 20 babies and toddlers 9 (numbers may change if they are adopted or in foster care). One of the main characteristic of this project is the incorporation of the families and the community to the educational work. The parents of the children are so poor that they cannot afford to keep their children healthy or well fed. The projects serve as a day care, kindergarten and support center.
A Broader View Volunteers Abroad Gap Year Projects Overseas
Volunteers assist the local staff with the basic needs such as feeding, bathing and clothing, putting them down for naps and changing diapers, playing with the babies and exercise. We need proactive, energetic volunteers, be friendly with the staff and do as much as you can, don’t wait to be told what to do, get in and give as much help and love to these babies. You will get much more than what you give. Female volunteers only. Volunteer Opportunities: Child Care Program
Volunteer Opportunities: Orphanage program
- Project length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: La Serena (LSC)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Requirements: intermediate/basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons while in country and Police Check/Clearance report
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Chile, American, United, Delta, Iberia, Avianca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in La Serena
- Airport meet and greet in La Serena. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Chile. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|South America / US$|
|Chile - Spanish Immersion||1140||1480||1820||2160|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|South America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.