Volunteer in India, Childcare centers, commonly known as Aanganbaris, seek to provide ample care to children before school. Their main aim is to take care of those children who would not be able to receive proper care at home. Additionally, they serve to improve the health of the pregnant women and the lactating mothers.
Aanganbari are usually staffed by two local employees, one who manages the center (worker) and another who assists and cooks for the children (helper). Attendance at the Aanganbari varies from day to day, but sometimes the staff is responsible for over 30 children. Resources in the Aanganbari, such as games, toys, coloring and drawing equipment, are scarce, so your presence there and the resources you take to use and play with are eagerly and excitedly received by the children.
The childcare volunteers assist the staff and share the workload in the Aanganbari. Here the volunteer’s main responsibilities will include:
- Improving attendance by encouraging children and parents to make use of the facility
- Caring for children and playing games
- Improving the atmosphere of the Aanganbari
- Assisting with regular health checks by local nurse for pre-natal and post-natal care
Volunteer Opportunities: Childcare programs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Maharana Pratap (Code: UDR), going through New Delhi
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 4 to 6 hours per day
- Requirements: Police Check/Clearance report
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Jet Airways, Indian Airlines, Spice Airlines
- Vaccinations: Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Share Volunteer House
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch box and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Hindi Lessons: 5 Days included (1 hour a day basic Hindu)
- Optional: Indian Cuisine, Yoga, Henna and Dance lessons (not included)
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet