This is an opportunity to support the work at a local orphanage in Kathmandu. Home to about 15 children, mainly girls, this residential home currently has children between 5 and 16 years old. Although the children attend school for the majority of the day, there is much help needed at this center. Volunteer work hours are split between early morning and later afternoon (approximately 730am-930am, 300pm-7:00pm) Volunteers will help getting the kids dressed, fed and ready for school. In the afternoon support with homework, teaching English, as well as introducing recreational and extracurricular activities like dance and music. The children mainly crave individual attention and focus from the volunteers. When the children are at school volunteers can assist with orphanage administrative needs, in the kitchen or gardens. Another option is to split this project with another program such as teaching or take optional Nepali language course.
Prior experience is not needed. Volunteer need to be very caring, child friendly, pro-active and patient.
- Volunteers required to pay US$100 for each month they volunteer at this program paid with the program cost.
Volunteer Opportunities: Orphan Care programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Local host family / Host placement center
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday. 20 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7.30am-9.30am and 3pm-7pm approx
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
Extra- Not Included activities:
- UNESCO Heritage car/ bike tour full day/half day
- Hiking guide hire Horse riding
- Nepali Dance Class Nepali language learning (basic/intermediate/advance level)
- Trekking around the Himalayas.
|Asia / US$|
|Nepal - Nepali Immersion||1050||1310||1650||1950|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$210/week after week 4 until week 12, more Nepali lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.