Volunteer Uganda in one of two local orphanages in the Wakiso district, located outside of the city of Kampala. The village orphanage and school not only provide a home and safe haven this is where the children have classes.
Most of these children have lost parents to HIV/Aids. Some have been abandoned, and they know abuse, hunger and fear. The orphanage strives to provide a better future for some of the most vulnerable children in Uganda. As a volunteer, you will primarily assist with the daily care of the kids; getting them ready for school, brushing teeth, reading to them. Afterschool activates you can play games, arrange activities, create arts & crafts projects and share your time and caring with these wonderful children.
Prior experience not necessary, volunteers should have a lot of patience, an open mind and a sense of compassion. The children range in age from 3yrs-13yrs old.
Volunteer Opportunities: Orphanage programs
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Entebbe (Code: EBB)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: KLM, Delta, Emirates, British Air, Qatar and United
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Bulenga
- Airport meet and greet in Entebbe. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7:30am - 5pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Uganda. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet