- Published on Wednesday, April 03 2013 15:28
Volunteer in one of two local orphanages in the Wakiso district, located outside of the city of Kampala. The village orphanage and school not only provide a home and safe haven this is where the children have classes.
Most of these children have lost parents to HIV/Aids. Some have been abandoned, and they know abuse, hunger and fear. The orphanage strives to provide a better future for some of the most vulnerable children in Uganda. As a volunteer, you will primarily assist with the daily care of the kids; getting them ready for school, brushing teeth, reading to them. Afterschool activates you can play games, arrange activities, create arts & crafts projects and share your time and caring with these wonderful children.
Prior experience not necessary, volunteers should have a lot of patience, an open mind and a sense of compassion. The children range in age from 3yrs-13yrs old.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Entebbe (Code: EBB)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Program starts and ends in Bulenga
- Airport meet and greet in Entebbe. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7:30am - 5pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Uganda. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Africa / US$|
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.