Volunteer in Ecuador, this project has been in the works since 1949 for children who have been orphaned, abandoned, or whose families are unable to care for them. The family approach in this Children's Village is based on the three following principles: each child needs a mother, they grow up naturally with brothers and sisters, and they live in their own house within a supportive village environment.
The center has a great response to the social development needs of society's most vulnerable children and young people. This center establishes facilities and programs that aim to strengthen families and prevent the abandonment of children. In Quito, the program has 7 Social Centers that work as a kindergarten for small children whose parents are working and have no other place to leave their kids. The center gives attention towards the children, family, women and community.
The center hosts more than 80 children from ages 8 months to 4 years old. There are five groups of children and their daily activities depend on age. Volunteers at the day care center can help by creating recreational activities for the children, playing with them, organizing games, making didactic material, helping with feeding and cleaning the children.
Volunteers who work here are going to work with kids who form strong bonds very quickly because they are already so vulnerable, they become attached to those they spend their days with. The children will miss you and feel sad if you do not take this volunteer position seriously by not showing up to work. It is very important that before you leave, you tell them with anticipation when you are leaving. The volunteer position will contain lots of laughter and joy, but it is important that you are responsible, show respect and have confidence in fulfilling your duties as a volunteer here.
Volunteer Ecuador Children Support Opportunities
- Arrival to Airport: Quito (UIO) Program starts and ends in Quito
- Project Length: 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project Period: September-July
- Accommodation: Host family
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6 hours per day
- Daily work: 8:00am to 1:00pm
- Weekends: free to sight see, travel
- Requirements: basic Spanish Knowledge
- Age Limits: 18 to 65 years old
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years *IF traveling with parents or permission of parents
- Airlines: Lan Ecuador, American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vaccinations, Hepatitis-A and Typhoid
- Airport meet and greet in Quito
- Host Family accommodation, 3 meals a day and laundry
- Orientation, project briefing in Quito
- Volunteer project placement 30 hour per week
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Extra Donation US$50 per month