Volunteer at a local orphanage in a suburb of San Jose (Guadalupe). This residential facility is home to about 25 children who range in age between toddlers to pre-teens (2yrs-12yrs old). The “Tias” or caretakers at the orphanage need help with everyday tasks for the children.
Volunteer Activities May Include:
- Helping children learn conversational English
- Teaching basics like colors, numbers, letters and basic math.
- Preparing, serving and helping to feed the younger children
- Create arts and crafts, songs, sports activities with the kids.
Volunteers should be flexible, caring, be a self-starter and have strong Spanish skills. Volunteers are asked to wear long pants and closed toe shoes at the orphanage. Language Immersion lessons can be combined with this volunteer project.
Important: Arrival flights must be before 10pm (no exceptions) to San Jose and departure flight should be after 1pm.
Volunteer Opportunities Orphanage Day Care
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: 8:30 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00pm daily.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO). Meet and greet by ABV Staff and transfer to host family.
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24 hour emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.