"This experience was one that I will never forget. The support while in Costa Rica was magnificent"
Volunteer at a children’s hospital in San Jose. Some of the activities in which the volunteer will be involved are:
- Feed the babies
- Help with language therapy
- Go on rounds and support doctors with non-evasive tasks
- Teach the kids math or science or other subjects
- Take part in any special project assigned by the doctors
If you are an undergraduate studying biology, chemistry or any of the sciences and are considering a career in medicine this is the ideal program for you. You will have an opportunity to see what life as a healthcare professional will be like. Having this experience is a great way to strengthen your application to medical/nursing/PA school.
Requirement: loose fitting clothing or scrubs, flat closed toed shoes or sneakers/trainers, no jewelry/earring/rings, no perfume or strong deodorant, hair must be tied up, no photograph in the hospital. If you are sick you should not report to work that day. These requirements are mandatory for the safety and well being of the patients.
This project can be combined with the Spanish Language Immersion option
ONLY Monday or Tuesday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The clinic orientation is on Wednesday.
Volunteer Opportunities: Costa Rica: San Jose: Pre-Medical/Pre-Nursing
- Project length: From 2 weeks to 6 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: 8:30am-1:00pm, 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Requirements: Intermediate Spanish or Spanish lessons in country, $80 for hospital ID card and 2 Passport pictures for the hospital ID card.
- Gender: Only females allowed in this program
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Arrival: Airport (SJO). Meet and greet by ABV Staff and transfer to host family.
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24 hour emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet. Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
|Central America / US$|
|Costa Rica - Spanish Immersion||1070||1375||1685||1995|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 6, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.