Volunteers in Ghana have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in Ghanaian rural communities through education. Based on government decree, all children have the right to free, compulsory, universal basic education on all levels.
Volunteer placement in the local village school help support pre-school, primary and secondary schools teaching math, science, geography, business education, computer training, English, art and music. The objective of this program is to contribute to the academic development of the Ghanaian school in order to provide the best opportunity for sustainable quality education.
Volunteers are not required to have teaching experience, but need to be resourceful and take initiative as materials are sometimes scarce. Ability to plan and be self-motivated is important, as often you will not have direct supervision. Minimum two week program suggested.
- Volta placements transportation cost is $180 to be added to your invoice. This is a 4-5 hour journey which may include local bus/lake crossing weather dependent
Volunteer Opportunities: Education Programs
- Project Length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Ground transportation cost $180
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay or onsite in Orphanage
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet. Overnight in Accra.
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet