Volunteer in a village school located outside of Mombasa. This school serves orphans, foster children and local village children. The school has about 30 students, and the project is expanding each year. The children are ages 5yrs-13yrs and provided free education at a children’s center. Our volunteers support the local teachers with English and math classes; encourage students to learn and play and instill pride in their schooling.
Volunteers can assist with the physical upkeep of the school; painting, decorating, mending desks etc. Prior teaching experience is not required; volunteer simply need an open mind, caring spirit and a compassionate nature.
School terms vary from year to year but semesters dates are approximately:
- Mid Jan to end of April
- Mid May to mid August
- Early Sept through mid December
Volunteer Opportunities: Education Programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Mombasa (MBA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist visa.
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Emirates, Qatar Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Mombasa
- Airport meet and greet in Mombasa. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 7am - 4pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Kenya. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet