A Broader View is dedicated to providing responsible volunteer programs. We aim to create a harmonious experience for all those involved. Participants must agree to follow the procedures of A Broader View, laws of the host country, the policies of the community in which they volunteer, and/or the rules of the local hosts. In order to provide you with the very best service, we require that you read our policies. You will be asked to electronically sign when you have read the terms and conditions of volunteering with A Broader View Volunteers (ABV).
These Terms & Conditions apply to all participants in our A Broader View program. By paying the Deposit or the Final Payment Program, you are entering into the agreement with A Broader View Volunteers. If you have any questions regarding this contract, please email A Broader View Volunteers Corp and we will be happy to assist you.
Definitions Within this Agreement
“you” or “your” means the participant.
“we”, “us” or “our” means A Broader View Volunteers (ABV) registered 501(c)3 charity organization
Agreement means the contractually binding agreement made between us and you that is made up of the application form and the terms and conditions set out in this document.
Commencement Date means the date, chosen by you, that the Program begins.
Deposit means the part of the Program Fee ($120) that must be paid by you to secure your place on the Program prior. Deposit is not refundable.
Final Payment Deadline means the date 45 days prior to the Commencement Date. 60 days prior for group placements.
Program means any project (volunteer/internship/language class) offered by ABV.
Program Fee means the sum of the Deposit and the remaining outstanding balance, payable by you to us in accordance with Section 3 below.
Country Coordinator(s) means the person(s) in the Host Country who organize and coordinate Placements of Participants.
Host Country shall mean the Country in which Applicant is placed to perform volunteer services.
Host Country Partners shall mean the various persons, entities and/or organizations located within the respective Host Countries that have entered into an arrangement, relationship and/or contractual agreement with ABV and thereby generally agreed, subject to certain restrictions, to accept ABV Participants and allow the Participants to provide volunteer services in connection with Projects being conducted within the Host Country.
Host Family shall mean the people in the Host Country who provide living accommodations and meals to Participants during the Project but may occasionally also include a hostel or similar volunteer guesthouse accommodation.
- Our Responsibilities
By committing to an ABV program by submitting your deposit, we will undertake the following:
- to provide you with project placement in one of our volunteer programs.
- to provide accommodation that meets the following minimum standards:
1. a shared bedroom (with single bed)
2. with adequate bathroom, toilet and bath/shower facilities;
3. with bed sheets;
4. with meals (2-3 per day depending on your location)
- to provide you with airport transportation, on arrival and departure. Flight information must be submitted in a timely manner (at least 30 days prior to the commencement of the program)
- to provide contact details of local staff in case of any difficulties or problems experienced and to facilitate emergency support if necessary;
- to provide an induction and welcome talk upon your arrival.
- to provide you with travel and visa assistance where necessary.
For the avoidance of doubt, we will only be responsible for and are only bound to provide the services and matters set out in Section 1 above.
- Suitability of Participants
We retain all rights to reject the application of any person we deem unsuitable for our Program, at our own discretion.
- Deposit and Program Fee
- Your Initial Deposit (“Deposit”) is $120 US dollars regardless of destination.
- Upon payment of your Deposit, you agree to fully co-operate and abide by A Broader View Volunteers terms and conditions.
- If A Broader View Volunteers is unable to place you in a suitable project you will receive a Full Refund.
- If your Initial Deposit is received by us less than 45 days before the Commencement Date, your Final payment deadline will be 48 hours after paying your Deposit.
- In order to confirm your place in the program, you must pay the outstanding balance within 45 days of your program start date (within 60 days for groups). In all cases, all program fees must be paid before you travel to your program destination. Participants who fail to meet this requirement, will receive none of the benefits of the Program. This includes, without limitation; placement in a confirmed Program, airport transfers and accommodation.
- You are responsible for covering all and any charges imposed by financial institutions, including PayPal fees, foreign transaction fees, and wire transfer fees. This applies to your Deposit, Program Fee and any other transfer to us. If you underpay your Deposit due to such charges, you will make up the balance when you pay the Program Fee
- Some participants may be eligible for a discounted program fee – for example, repeat travelers, or group discounts, or multiple trip goers. If a participant is eligible for a discount, then A Broader View Volunteers has the sole power and discretion to decide how or whether the discounts may be combined, or if only one discount may be applied.
- Request to Cancel, Vary Participation on the Program and Refunds
- If you wish to withdraw from the program at any time, then this must be done via a written request. For the avoidance of doubt, such a written request can be made by email.
- The Deposit, and all subsequent Program Fees paid, are not refundable if you withdraw from the Program for any reason other than A Broader View Volunteers failure to place you in your preference Area. This includes withdrawal for medical, personal, family, academic, financial, and all other reasons. *Look into insurance with cancellation coverage.
- The Deposit, and all subsequent Program Fees paid, are not refundable if A Broader View Volunteers determines, in its sole discretion, that you did not fully co-operate and/or complete the application process.
- If you want to change the start or end date of your participation in the program after being confirmed in a program (paid Deposit), a change fee of US$50 per person may be charged. We reserve the right to refuse the change request based on availability in the accommodations/and or project site.
- In the event that, for any reason at all, you decide to discontinue your place on the Program after it has started but before it is due to end, no refund will be given.
- If, for whatever reason, we must cancel your participation in the Program, prior to your commencement date, a full refund of the Program Fee (for the avoidance of doubt this includes the Deposit) will be given to you. A full refund will be issued only if the cancellation is for reasons which are in no way whatsoever attributable to you. No compensation can be given for any other costs incurred in relation to the Program.
- In the event that you are refused an appropriate visa or suitable alternative by the Local Authorities, a full refund of the Program Fee and the Deposit will be paid if; (1) you filled out all and any visa forms correctly, and (2) completed all steps in the required visa process correctly and on time. No compensation can be given for cancellation of flights or any other costs whatsoever incurred by you. No refund of Deposit and/or Program Fee will be offered if your tardiness in completing the necessary visa requirements leads to start dates being delayed and your program being cancelled.
- All refunds and reimbursements will be processed within 21 days.
- We do not withhold any processing fee or service charge from refunds. However, the refund amount you receive may be less than you expected, due to fees or charges imposed by your bank or by other intermediary financial institutions. We have no control over this and cannot cover or reimburse these fees.
- Website and Promotional Material
- The content and information displayed on our website and other promotional material is believed to be valid and correct but we will not be held liable and do not take responsibility for any misinformation or ambiguities in the content. Prices are subject to change without notice and you will be liable for additional amounts owed due to price changes unless your deposit has already been submitted.
- We reserve the right to take your photograph, or video footage of you, for use in our promotional material. We do not make any payments to individuals in respect of such use. We may (but are not obliged to) reproduce the photographs (or part of them) in our promotional material including, without limitation, posters, advertisements, printed publications, on our website and social media website pages. Copyright in the photographs will belong to A Broader View Volunteers. By agreeing to these terms and conditions, you consent for your photographic data to be used for our promotional purposes.
- Liability for Losses and Program Changes
- We cannot accept any responsibility or liability for loss of or damage to your passport or any other personal property at any part of the visa process, during transit or during registration with the Local authorities.
- We cannot accept any responsibility or liability for Program changes or Program cancellations under any of the following circumstances; war or threat of war; terrorism or threat of terrorism; fire; sickness; environmental or climate concerns; acts of government or local authority; accidental death or injury or, any other event or circumstance which amounts to a “force majeure” and in such cases no refund or compensation for any loss will be given to you unless otherwise decided at our sole discretion.
- Applicant’s Responsibility
(a) It is your responsibility to be aware of any national holidays or other events that may change the nature of the program or limits your work hours at the program. While most programs have a full time working policy (35-40 hours), some may have different requirements and we cannot be held responsible for this. Holidays, festivals, even local strikes can affect the program.
(b) International flights are not included in the cost of any of our Program. It is your sole responsibility to arrange flights and comprehensive insurance and to select providers based on your own decisions and experiences. We cannot be held responsible for any action, negligence or event relating to the purchase or operation of flight tickets or flights. We will also not be responsible for any costs or refunds due to changes or delays in flights.
7A. Experiencing Problems
(a) A Broader View Volunteers wants you to enjoy a worry-free program. You agree to discuss any problems in your placement with our local staff prior to reaching out to the A Broader View USA office. You agree to first attempt to resolve your complaints or problem with the local project staff members, host family, and coordinators. You agree that numerous, minor issues can be resolved through patience, flexibility, respect, and negotiation. You agree to only contact ABV if the problem is not able to be solved locally, or if you feel ABV US intervention is required.
(b) Should you experience any problems while participating in our Program, you should immediately inform us in writing (by email or through messaging if available), with a clear explanation of the problem. In such an event, we will discuss the problem with you and will discuss ways in which the problem can be solved. We are not responsible for any conversations or anything that is said unless it is recorded in the written form either by email or by messages ie: (phone text, Whatsapp, Skype)
(c) If you wish to terminate your placement prior to the end of the time stated in the contract for any reason you must provide us with written notice, clearly stating the reasons for such a decision. You agree that no refund of the Program Fee or any other fees will be made in this situation, that no other placement will be offered and that you will be required to leave the provided accommodation within two days of being informed by us.
(d) If you should deem the accommodation which has been provided to you to be unsuitable, A Broader View Volunteers must be notified within 48 hours of the start of your first day in that accommodation in order for remedies to be made or, if necessary, alternative accommodation arranged. Any complaints about the unsuitability of accommodation arising 48 hours after the start of your first day in that accommodation will be dealt with at the discretion of A Broader View Volunteers.
(e) A Broader View Volunteers cannot be held responsible for any complaints arising from issues outside of the specifications made in Section (1)(b), this includes, without limitation, relations with other inhabitants of the guesthouse/apartment/home-stay, relations with your neighbors, and relations with other colleagues or managers in your project placement.
(a) We, our affiliate agencies, suppliers and members of staff cannot be held responsible for any case of injury, accident, claim, theft, damage, sickness, cancellation or loss, in relation to our/their services.
(b) You are responsible for your own safety during the trip and neither we, nor the assigned local program/internship provider, take responsibility nor can be held liable for any accident, sickness, loss, damage, expense or hazard encountered throughout the Program.
(c) You will be held responsible and liable for any damages to the assigned internship provider during your placement. It is your sole responsibility to ensure you purchase personal liability insurance as well as travel medical insurance prior to the Commencement Date.
7C. Complying with Rules, Local Laws and Acting Responsibly
(a) If you do not comply with the rules of the program, the rules of A Broader View Volunteers, or the laws of the destination to which you go, then we may release you from the Program. In these cases, no refund will be given, and you will be required to leave the provided accommodation within two days of being informed by us. This includes cases in which the project/internship provider asks you to leave your role due to underperformance or misconduct.
(b) You will take full responsibility for your conduct at all times during the Program. You will not act irresponsibly nor; will you break the law of the country to which you go. You will not put yourself or others in dangerous situations. If you do any of the above, you will be responsible for the consequences and can be terminated your placement and program.
(c) We reserve the right to expel, at our sole discretion, any Participant from the Program for reasons including but not limited to: breaking the law; bullying or harassment of other Participants/coordinator/host family/program members; anti-social or unreasonable behavior (drug use or alcohol while within the program or housing provided) or unfit conduct towards other group members, our representatives, our suppliers’/affiliate agencies’ representatives or the assigned program/internship provider or excessive absence from work. Whether a Participant has acted in any of the ways set out above will be determined by us in our sole discretion. In such instances, we retain the right to immediately remove the Participant from his or her accommodation and cancel their participation in the Program, with no refund issued.
7D. Third Party Behavior or Actions
(a) We take no responsibility and are not liable for any third-party behavior or actions including but not limited to that of the host program/internship provider and accommodation provider. We take no responsibility and are not liable for any accidents that take place at any third-party locations including but not limited to the premises of the host internship provider and the designated accommodation. It is your responsibility to ensure you purchase personal liability insurance as well as travel medical insurance prior to the Commencement Date.
(b) We reserve the right to make charges for any missing or damaged items or for any additional cleaning or repair charges to accommodation that may be incurred during the Program. You agree to pay these charges in full to us within 14 days of finishing the Program.
7E. Guests Prohibited
(a) You are not allowed to have guests and/or to stay in homestay accommodation. In the event that guests stay in homestay accommodation without consent from the homeowner, you may be required to leave the provided accommodation within 12 hours of being informed by us.
(a) You are responsible for ensuring that you have purchased full, comprehensive insurance prior to departure, which will cover you for the duration of your participation in the Program, and which includes but is not limited to travel, health, medical evacuation and accident insurance.
(b) Even if you have insurance coverage through another party, such as your university or your visa sponsor, you are responsible for ensuring that the coverage is sufficient. If you have any doubts or questions about your insurance, please contact us.
(c) You must bring all relevant insurance documents with you to the country in which you are placed.
7G. Notifications You Must Make
(a) You must inform us if you have an infectious disease, mental illness, or a criminal record, as any of these may complicate your visa application or immigration status in your destination country.
(b) The Participant is responsible for informing A Broader View Volunteers of any medical conditions (physical or psychological) or religious restrictions which may influence the Participant’s ability to complete the Program (work in their program/internship or attend any events or activities), prior to paying a Deposit. For medical conditions and religious restrictions which have been disclosed, it is A Broader View Volunteers responsibility to inform the Participant whether they can continue with the Program prior to commencement – if this is not possible then a full refund of the Deposit will be given. If the local program/internship provider wishes to terminate your placement prior to the end of the stated time for reasons related to your medical conditions or religious restrictions, you understand that no refund of fees will be given in this situation and we are under no obligation to provide another placement. In such a case, you will be required to leave the provided accommodation within two days of being informed by us.
- Maximum Liability
Our maximum liability is limited to the Program Fee.
- Release and Waiver of Liabilities
- Assumption of Personal Risk. You hereby agree, understand and acknowledge that your agreement to travel to, temporarily live in and provide volunteer services on a project in a foreign host country necessarily involves a certain degree of hazards, inherently dangerous activities and personal risks to you, both foreseen and unforeseen, all of which are fully accepted by and solely assumed by you. In addition, you hereby fully and permanently release and forever discharge A Broader View Volunteers from any and all liability for your personal injury, emotional injury, illness, disease, death, and/or property damage that may result or occur during your placement and/or the project period.
- Release and Waivers Acknowledgment. You hereby fully, permanently and irrevocably release, forever discharge and agree not to sue A Broader View Volunteers, including any and all of its agents, managers, participants, applicants, members, employees, officers or representatives, and any country coordinators, volunteer coordinators, host families or other persons, entities, parties, organizations or agencies collaborating with A Broader View (collectively “released parties”), voluntarily and without duress, from any and all actions, suits, liability, claims, demands, losses, costs and/or causes of action for damages or other legal or equitable relief of any nature including, without limitation, claims for personal injury, emotional injury, illness, disease, death, property damage or other losses, expenses and/or damages (collectively “claims”), which may hereafter arise from any cause whatsoever, including, without limitation, that arising from your participation in any project or placement and/or any project, activity or event sponsored, managed, arranged, or promoted by, or otherwise affiliated or associated with A Broader View Volunteers.
- Transfer or Sharing of Your Personal Information. In connection with Your Placement, it may be necessary for Us to transfer personal information about You, such as medical information, background-check information, passport information to a country(s) outside of the United States where an adequate level of protection of such data may not be provided. You hereby fully consent to any and all such transfers of your personal information necessary to arrange your overseas project placement and or purchase domestic airlines tickets (Galapagos projects).
- Consent to Jurisdiction and Venue. Each party hereto irrevocably consents to the jurisdiction of the United States of America and further consents to the specific jurisdiction of the state and federal courts of the State of Pennsylvania and agrees that any suit, action or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement, or any related documents, may be instituted against it in any Pennsylvania court or in any U.S. District Court sitting in the State of Pennsylvania (assuming such latter court has jurisdiction over such suit, action or proceeding), at the option of the party bringing such suit, action or proceeding, and also specifically waives any objection which it may have to the venue of any such suit, action or proceeding brought in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and irrevocably submits to the jurisdiction of any such court in any such suit, action or proceeding. Nothing herein shall affect the right of either party to serve process in any manner permitted by law.
- Acknowledgment. Applicant agrees, understand and acknowledges that Applicant (i) has read and fully understands this legal contract, with full knowledge of its meaning and significance; (ii) intends that this Agreement be legally binding upon and enforceable against Applicant; (iii) confirms that Applicant is at least eighteen (18) years of age, fully competent, and entering into this Agreement voluntarily of his or her own free judgment. If participant is under the legal age their parent or legal guardian has read and agrees with this legal contract.
This document including any referenced exhibits hereto, is the sole source of any obligations and/or services to be provided by A Broader View Volunteers Corp and therefore no oral or other communications or documents regarding the substance of this agreement are relevant or binding upon A Broader View Volunteers Corp. You should retain legal counsel to assist you if you do not fully understand any provision included in this document.