San Jose is the capital of Costa Rica and is the cultural main hub for volunteers and travelers alike. Because so many locals speak English, San Jose is a great place to improve your Spanish. Streets are mixed with western style chain restaurants next to bustling outdoor markets. Although San Jose would rarely be called a pretty city, well-marked streets lead to some amazingly historical building architecture like the elegant 1897 National Theater. Within every corner of San Jose can be found many theaters, museums, parks, plazas and zoos.
However even with rapid growth in population, San Jose largely retains a small town vibe. With the city’s central location it makes an ideal jumping off point to visit some of Costa Rica’s premier tourist sites.
Volunteer projects include orphanage support, teaching, elderly care and health projects.
Volunteer Opportunities: Costa Rica San Jose
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO)
- Work Schedule: 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and San Jose Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Quito. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet