Quetzaltenango, more commonly known as Xela, is a beautiful city surrounded by mountains, volcanoes and laced with cobblestone streets. With several universities in the city, there are lots of young people, lively markets and colorful Mayan culture all around. Located in the highlands of Guatemala, Xela is about 2 hours (120 miles) from Guatemala City, and about 1 hour from the tropical Pacific coast.
Volunteer in Xela and experience the real Guatemala. Considered a bit grittier than Antigua, and a bit less touristic, this is a good choice for a serious, Spanish speaking volunteer. There are lots of naturist options nearby hiking, mountain climbing, biking, as well as the coast nearby. The city is not too big, and not too small, perhaps just the perfect size to be 100% immersed but still see some other foreigners during your time there.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteering Opportunities in Xela
- Project length: From 2 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-7 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet