Quetzaltenango, more commonly known as Xela, is a beautiful city surrounded by mountains, volcanoes and laced with cobblestone streets. With several universities in the city, there are lots of young people, lively markets and colorful Mayan culture all around. Located in the highlands of Guatemala, Xela is about 2 hours (120 miles) from Guatemala City, and about 1 hour from the tropical Pacific coast.
Volunteer in Xela and experience the real Guatemala. Considered a bit grittier than Antigua, and a bit less touristic, this is a good choice for a serious, Spanish speaking volunteer. There are lots of naturist options nearby hiking, mountain climbing, biking, as well as the coast nearby. The city is not too big, and not too small, perhaps just the perfect size to be 100% immersed but still see some other foreigners during your time there.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
Volunteering Opportunities in Xela
- Project length: From 2 week to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-7 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Central America / US$|
|Guatemala - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.