Volunteer Name: Lena Sol Namkung
Project Location: San José Costa Rica
Program Dates: 03/16 to 03/19/2015
Volunteered at: Children´s Hospital
1- How was the local ABV Coordinator/staff and the support provided in-country?
- Everyone was nice and was willing to help when needed. They were all open to questions and concerns of the volunteer.
2- What was the most surprising thing you experienced? Name 2
Host Family: They had WiFi.
Country: There were no names for streets and roads.
3- What was the most challenging thing you experienced?
Host Family: Nothing.
Country: Getting around from places to places.
4- Any tips for future volunteers… (clothing, travel, personal items, donations)
1. Study more about the city of the country you are volunteering.
2. Bring a cardigan or a light jacket to wear during the night since it gets little chilly.
3. Exchange money at the bank.
5.1-Other things volunteers should know before coming here:
(thats not in the orientation guide)
a. You don’t need to bring scrubs.
6- Personal Paragraph about the experience (ABV Program Testimonial):
I had a great time volunteering at the hospital. Some of my duties included playing with the children and holding the babies when parents were absent. People of Costa Rica were all friendly and I regret only staying for a week. I wish to return again to Costa Rica and to my host family to spend more time in the country.
7- How would you describe your accommodation, meals, security, friendliness, quality others:
- Everything was great. I loved my host family, they were all kind and provided 3 meals per day. My host mom even packed lunch for me to eat at the hospital. I had a roommate whom I also got close to. I did not have to worry about security because the city I stayed was safe.
8- What was your favorite memory of this trip?:
Host Family: Food and the time I spent with my host mom.
Country: Touring around the city.
9- How was the ABV USA support prior traveling? (who helped you, emails, phone calls, chat online, how fast did you got an answer, did you got all your answers)
- Sarah helped me prior to traveling and her response to my e-mail were very quick and she also clearly explained everything that I was unclear of.
9.1- What do you think about the reservation system online?
- Everything was good.
9.2- Who did you find Abroaderview website (keywords, what search engine, word mouth to mouth, recommended)
- Search engine.
10 – Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers?