Volunteer in Costa Rica with A Broader View Volunteers, our highly rated non-profit charity organization. Volunteer placements are located throughout Costa Rica, mainly in the cities of San Jose and Escazu as well as on the Pacific and Atlantic coastal regions. Volunteers can choose between 19 programs options throughout in Costa Rica.
With housing available up to 30 volunteers, A Broader View has hosted hundreds of university student groups, peace corp alternative teens and family volunteer programs in our Costa Rica turtle programs. If you have a group of 5 or more interested in volunteering together, customized programs can be arranged. A Broader View Volunteers has extensive experience working with students, teachers and families providing tailor-made service trips for small groups.
Volunteer in Costa Rica, the Spanish optimistically called the country "Rich Coast." Mention Costa Rica and people think paradise. Costa Rica, despite being such a tiny nation, draws well over a million visitors every year - and you can see why. With its year round mild climate, relaxed visa requirements for travelers, and friendly locals Costa Rica is an ideal place to volunteer.
Our volunteer projects located in San Jose/Escazu include orphanage support, teaching project, supporting the elderly and healthcare work. The Sea Turtle projects are based up and down the Pacific and Caribbean Coast line.
Sea Turtle Volunteers must arrive to San Jose in the morning or early afternoon. Night flights will delay the start of your program by one day due to travel time to the project site.
Sea Turtle Opportunities
Volunteer in Escazu
- Sloth Conservation
- Teaching Program
- Special Needs Center
- Pre-Medical Program
- Immersion Spanish
- Senior Care Center
- Animal Rescue Shelter
- Day Care Center
- Pre Dental
Volunteering in San Jose
- Orphanage Care
- Day Care Support
- Museum Volunteer
- Special Needs Teaching
- Language Immersion
- Elderly Care Center
ABV in a nut shell
- 501 (c)3 nonprofit USA based organization – you can tax deduct the program fees.
- Available year-round. You choose your own program start and end dates.
- 27 country locations to choose from. Programs available from 1 week up to 3 months in length.
- 245 perfectly balanced projects - experience, price, service.
- 100% cultural immersion including local home-stay and guesthouse accommodations.
- Program fees include airport transportation, orientation, housing/meals, 24/7 in-country support.
- Suitable options for solo travelers, gap year, honeymooners, families, mature travelers & groups.
- Excellent safety record and Platinum rated non-profit organization per Guidestar ABV alumni reviews.
- Between 1500-2000 volunteer per year with a high percentage of repeat volunteers.
I had a fantastic experience all the way around with ABV. From the time I inquired about their programs, to almost the day before I left to come to Costa Rica, ABV was continually in touch with me making sure everything was arranged, taken care of, answered any questions I had.
I was lucky enough to volunteer at a hospital where I would help care for the babies or kids whose parents could not always be with them. There are not enough nurses to care for all of the kids and the parents need to eat or sleep at some point and that is where the rest of the volunteers.
Volunteer Costa Rica: From beginning to end though, you are taken care of. Someone picks you up from the airport, our host was always there for us and very helpful, and we were only ever on our own on the weekends when we decided to do excursions, which was our own choice.
Volunteer Opportunities Costa Rica Programs
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO)
- Work Schedule: 6-8 hours per day. 5-6 days a week
- Requirements: No Spanish needed, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host family (Sea Turtle project is cabana style dorms)
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and San Jose Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet