Volunteer Zambia based in the cities of Lusaka and Livingstone, the A Broader View volunteer programs have made immense improvements in the everyday lives of the children, youth and families we work with. The greatest commitment is to make radical change in the living conditions of impoverished and incarcerated youth as well as focus on early childhood education. With ABV volunteers’ help programs such Diversion Program have expanded which we advocate to divert children in conflict with the law from incarceration to a correction center where they are provided effective rehabilitation, recreation and education.
The republic of Zambia is a landlocked country in south central Africa whose population exceeds 10 million. Due to its high elevation, Zambia has a mild tropical climate. The weather is so pleasant that is has been nicknamed "The air-conditioned state". Given the vast amount of national parks and game reserves, Zambia is home to some of the most abundant animal populations in Africa including big game animals. The major draw to Zambia is the astonishing Victoria Falls, the largest waterfall in the world!
Zambia is one of the more politically stable countries in Southern Africa with potential to be one of the richest countries on the continent. However, Zambia is one of the world's poorest and indebted nations with a steady influx of refugees, the effects of HIV/AIDS, poverty and corruption, as well as food shortages that leaves the country in crisis.
In Zambia there are thousands of children who are homeless orphans, many affected by HIV/AIDS. Thousands of children in Zambia live in a land where extreme poverty is the norm, many children are orphaned by AIDS, health care is woefully inadequate and public education is substandard and not free. One thing is clear. Children such as these need help.
Volunteer in Zambia and support orphans, vulnerable children, youth and young adults, as well as support a health care project.
Volunteering Programs in Zambia Lusaka
Volunteer Projects in Zambia Livingstone
ABV in a nut shell
- 501 (c)3 nonprofit USA based organization – you can tax deduct the program fees.
- Available year-round. You choose your own program start and end dates.
- 27 country locations to choose from. Programs available from 1 week up to 3 months in length.
- 245 perfectly balanced projects - experience, price, service.
- 100% cultural immersion including local home-stay and guesthouse accommodations.
- Program fees include airport transportation, orientation, housing/meals, 24/7 in-country support.
- Suitable options for solo travelers, gap year, honeymooners, families, mature travelers & groups.
- Excellent safety record and Platinum rated non-profit organization per Guidestar ABV alumni reviews.
- Between 1500-2000 volunteer per year with a high percentage of repeat volunteers.
Volunteer Opportunities: Social programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Lusaka (Code: LUN)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: South African Air, Ethiopian, Emirates, KLM and Delta
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Malaria Medication, Hep A, Yellow Fever wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Zambia. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet