Volunteer Background Check

To participate in an ABV volunteer program, all volunteers must provide a criminal background to their MyABV profile before traveling in an ABV program. The background check requirement is a key part of the ABV Responsible Volunteer Travel guidelines and ABV Child Protection agreement.


Please ensure you allow sufficient time to acquire this document before you depart, as processing times vary from country to country. A background check is imperative to determine whether any serious criminal offense has been recorded against your name. The document must be issued within 6 months of your program start date and is required to be presented in English. If your background check cannot be issued in English, the original must be accompanied by an English translation done by a professional translation service or notary public.

ABV can provide this service at a discount price (US$15) through the application process for US citizens and Residents, other nationalities can check the links below and email the document to our email or upload to the ABV account. Pay the background here: https://www.paypal.me/abroaderview add your full name on the notes.

Below is some guidance on criminal background check providers for a number of nationalities. Please be aware that each provider will have different requirements for what is to be supplied as part of the background check, prices and anticipated turnaround times.

While ABV has tried to make sure that each provider will provide you with a quality service, we do not take responsibility for the quality or completeness of the report provided by the organization selected.

For nationalities not listed below, please contact your local police station for advice.

  • Canada: backcheck.net - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 1.877.308.4663
  • UK: disclosurescotland.co.uk £25
  • Australia: policecheckexpress.com.au  $29
  • Australia: koncheck.com/npc
  • New Zealand: justice.govt.nz  Free
  • France: cjn.justice.gouv.fr
  • China: Your application must be done in person. Volunteers should apply for a Certificate of  Criminal Record at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) in the district of your residence shown on your Household Register (hukou), and then make an application to the notary office for a certificate based on the PSB document. Please note, a professional English translation will be required.

Language Immersion:

* Price in US dollars
Toll Free: US/CA (1) 866-423-3258