By choosing to volunteer in Guatemala you have an extraordinary opportunity to experience the fascinating culture of one of the most diverse countries on the American continent. Though a fairly small country compared with its neighbors to the north, Guatemala boasts a geographic and ecological diversity that far surpasses many larger countries. From tropical rainforests and beaches to volcanoes and pristine mountain lakes, Guatemala has it all!
The area that is now Guatemala was once the heartland of the Maya empire. Many Maya ruins have been discovered and partially restored in recent years which can be visited on your free time. Today Guatemala is the most indigenous diverse country in Central America. Mayan culture and traditions are very much alive and many modern Maya, particularly Maya women, still wear their colorful traditional attire.
By becoming a volunteer in Guatemala you will not only support the poor and disadvantaged, you will be fully immersed in the vibrant Latin American culture. ABV Volunteer projects focus on supporting woman, children and health care centers throughout Guatemala.
Guatemala Volunteer Opportunities
- Project Length: From 1 to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (Code:GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet pickup
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry Visa.Departure taxes. Vaccinations.Local Transportation.Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet