By choosing to volunteer in Guatemala you have an extraordinary opportunity to experience the fascinating culture of one of the most diverse countries on the American continent. Though a fairly small country compared with its neighbors to the north, Guatemala boasts a geographic and ecological diversity that far surpasses many larger countries. From tropical rainforests and beaches to volcanoes and pristine mountain lakes, Guatemala has it all!
The area that is now Guatemala was once the heartland of the Maya empire. Many Maya ruins have been discovered and partially restored in recent years which can be visited on your free time. Today Guatemala is the most indigenous diverse country in Central America. Mayan culture and traditions are very much alive and many modern Maya, particularly Maya women, still wear their colorful traditional attire.
By becoming a volunteer in Guatemala you will not only support the poor and disadvantaged, you will be fully immersed in the vibrant Latin American culture. ABV Volunteer projects focus on supporting woman, children and health care centers throughout Guatemala.
Guatemala Volunteer Opportunities
- Project Length: From 1 to 12 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (Code:GUA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 6-8 hours per day
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Families
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet pickup
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Guatemala. Entry Visa.Departure taxes. Vaccinations.Local Transportation.Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Central America / US$|
|Guatemala - Spanish Immersion||995||1290||1530||1790|
Any extra week of “accommodation and meals” will be US$150/week after week 4 until week 12, more Spanish lessons can be paid locally to the coordinator.
|Central America / US$|
The volunteer prices and the immersion prices are not combined, you choose from one or the other price.
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.