Volunteering in Kenya When most people think of Kenya, they think of world famous wilderness reserves and safari vacations – but there is so much more. Kenya is home to over 50 different ethnic tribes, all with their own languages, cultures and customs. Regarded by many as the 'jewel of East Africa', Kenya also has some of Africa’s best beaches, scenic countryside and a developed tourist infrastructure.
Like so many countries in Africa, Kenya has been hit very hard by the Aids epidemic, especially in the rural areas. Millions of people are infected with the disease and children are the worst affected. Many children are left orphaned, or raised by overburdened family members, or worse, end up living in the slums of Nairobi. Parentless children and aging grandparents now compose many communities, unbalancing the socio-economic structure of the region which promotes a cycle of continued poverty in many areas.
Our volunteer programs are based in the Central Region and in Mombasa.
Volunteering Projects in Kenya Mombasa
Volunteering Projects in Kenya Kirithani
ABV in a nut shell
- 501 (c)3 nonprofit USA based organization – you can tax deduct the program fees.
- Available year-round. You choose your own program start and end dates.
- 27 country locations to choose from. Programs available from 1 week up to 3 months in length.
- 245 perfectly balanced projects - experience, price, service.
- 100% cultural immersion including local home-stay and guesthouse accommodations.
- Program fees include airport transportation, orientation, housing/meals, 24/7 in-country support.
- Suitable options for solo travelers, gap year, honeymooners, families, mature travelers & groups.
- Excellent safety record and Platinum rated non-profit organization per Guidestar ABV alumni reviews.
- Between 1500-2000 volunteer per year with a high percentage of repeat volunteers.
Volunteer in Kenya Opportunities
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Nairobi (Code: NBO) or Mombasa (MBA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist visa. Expect rural living conditions.
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Emirates, Qatar Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: On site at orphanage, or host family.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Nairobi Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Kenya. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet