When most people think of Kenya, they think of world famous wilderness reserves and safari vacations – but there is so much more. Kenya is home to over 50 different ethnic tribes, all with their own languages, cultures and customs. Regarded by many as the 'jewel of East Africa', Kenya also has some of Africa’s best beaches, scenic countryside and a developed tourist infrastructure.
Like so many countries in Africa, Kenya has been hit very hard by the Aids epidemic, especially in the rural areas. Millions of people are infected with the disease and children are the worst affected. Many children are left orphaned, or raised by overburdened family members, or worse, end up living in the slums of Nairobi. Parentless children and aging grandparents now compose many communities, unbalancing the socio-economic structure of the region which promotes a cycle of continued poverty in many areas.
Our volunteer programs are based in the Central Region and in Mombasa.
Volunteer Opportunities: Kenya Programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Nairobi (Code: NBO) or Mombasa (MBA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist visa. Expect rural living conditions.
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Emirates, Qatar Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: On site at orphanage, or host family.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Nairobi Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Kenya. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet
|Africa / US$|
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.
WHAT DO MY FEES PAY FOR?
Volunteer Registration Fee – ongoing support from ABV staff, program marketing costs, information pack, administration costs, ABV donation Fund, travel costs to inspect programs and communication costs with volunteers.
Volunteer Program Fee – ABV donation fund, airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs. As a US Non-Profit Charity Organization all your fees are tax deductible and you can fundraise from our website to pay for the fees.