Volunteer in Chile with A Broader View Volunteers, our highly rated non-profit charity organization. The volunteer programs are based in the coastal city of La Serena. Volunteers can choose between 4 programs options available in La Serena Chile.
We have made huge improvements in the everyday lives of the Chilean orphans and children we work with. ABV volunteer support has helped expand the orphanage services, contributed to the improvement in literacy levels in the pre-school and provided hours of caring and concern for the for the young children.
With housing available up to 10 volunteers, A Broader View has hosted hundreds of high school student groups, family volunteer groups in La Serena Chile. For many high school students their service in Chile accounts for academic or community service credit through their school. Teenage volunteers (16-19) programs are popular over Spring and Winter Break, and for summer volunteer abroad projects. If you have a group of 5 or more interested in volunteering together, customized programs can be arranged. A Broader View Volunteers has extensive experience working with students and teachers providing tailor-made service trips for small groups.
Chile's striking natural wonders, its rich cultural history, friendly people and stable government make it an ideal place to visit and volunteer! Although Chile boasts one of the most stable economies in South America, Chile suffers from one of the most uneven distributions of wealth in the world.
There are estimates that almost 60% of Chileans live near or below poverty levels, with almost 3 million living in extreme poverty. ABV Volunteer project focus on supporting the children of Chile, at a very large orphanage and in several schools in La Serena.
Volunteering Projects in Chile La Serena
ABV in a nut shell
- 501 (c)3 nonprofit USA based organization – you can tax deduct the program fees.
- Available year-round. You choose your own program start and end dates.
- 27 country locations to choose from. Programs available from 1 week up to 3 months in length.
- 245 perfectly balanced projects - experience, price, service.
- 100% cultural immersion including local home-stay and guesthouse accommodations.
- Program fees include airport transportation, orientation, housing/meals, 24/7 in-country support.
- Suitable options for solo travelers, gap year, honeymooners, families, mature travelers & groups.
- Excellent safety record and Platinum rated non-profit organization per Guidestar ABV alumni reviews.
- Between 1500-2000 volunteer per year with a high percentage of repeat volunteers.
This was the second time I volunteered and I am really Grateful for this wonderful experience. The orphanage is far and not even in La Serena it took me normally at least 45 min by bus (traffic its 8 miles from the house) to get there…
Then coming to Vilma’s home I was very happy to be greeted with amazing food. And along came the first day of volunteering where I was very nervous but settled in after a couple of days, teachers started to talk to me more and the kids would greet me when the would see me come in
Chile I had a wonderful experience working with the children and elderly people. I learned so much about Chilean culture and really improved my Spanish. I also made some great friends with other ABV volunteers and people at my work.
Volunteer opportunities: La Serena Chile
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: La Serena (LSC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7-8 hours per day
- Requirements: intermediate/basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion Lessons while in country and Police Check/Clearance report
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: Lan Chile, American, United, Delta, Iberia, Avianca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Week: Breakfast, lunch and dinner Weekends: breakfast and dinner, no lunch
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Chile. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.