Volunteer in Ghana is a safe, stable West African nation know to have the friendliest people in Africa. Vibrant traditional festivals full of pomp and pageantry can still be seen and heard throughout the country. Traditional open markets provide the sounds and sights of the African bazaar. has a diverse natural heritage which is rich in dense tropical rainforests, unique eco-systems, crocodile ponds, coastal wetlands, botanical gardens and the world largest manmade lake, Lake Volta.
A Broader View Volunteer placement are located in the town of Kasoa in the Central Region and through the Volta Region in small towns and villages. In these areas, 95% of its population lives in rural areas, and subsistence agriculture is the major activity. The poverty experienced in these rural areas is not just a lack of money but also the inability to access basic needs, such as health care and health facilities as well as voluntary HIV counseling and testing.
Despite having a lack of such basic needs, the Ghanaian people are world-renowned for their friendliness. Most volunteers are humbled by the everyday happy attitudes of the local people. Our programs allow you to take part in meaningful community service work, while discovering the people, sights, smells and tastes of Ghana.
ABV Volunteer support in Ghana is focused on supporting children: orphans, refugees and early education needs. Life changing volunteer support has expanded the orphanage services, provided food, clothing and school uniforms. Medical support in the community clinic, and with the HIV outreach and home visits have helped to save hundreds of lives in these impoverished communities. A Broader View offers programs for college spring break alternatives, university internship requirements and also family volunteering, medical mission work, animal volunteering. Many volunteers travel to Ghana to discover a fascinating west African culture, while contributing to a community-led program.
With housing available up to 15 volunteers, A Broader View has hosted hundreds of volunteers in Kasoa including peace corp alternative trips, family volunteering as well as pre-medical, nursing and EMT students seeking a medical mission trip. If you have a group of 5 or more interested in volunteering together, customized programs can be arranged. A Broader View Volunteers has extensive experience working with students, teachers and families providing tailor-made service trips for small groups.
Volunteering Projects in Ghana Kasoa
Volunteer Programs in Volta Region
ABV in a nut shell
- 501 (c)3 nonprofit USA based organization – you can tax deduct the program fees.
- Available year-round. You choose your own program start and end dates.
- 27 country locations to choose from. Programs available from 1 week up to 3 months in length.
- 245 perfectly balanced projects - experience, price, service.
- 100% cultural immersion including local home-stay and guesthouse accommodations.
- Program fees include airport transportation, orientation, housing/meals, 24/7 in-country support.
- Suitable options for solo travelers, gap year, honeymooners, families, mature travelers & groups.
- Excellent safety record and Platinum rated non-profit organization per Guidestar ABV alumni reviews.
- Between 1500-2000 volunteer per year with a high percentage of repeat volunteers.
My overall experience about the program is very good. I was welcomed by the locals with open hands; my host family was super friendly, supportive and was a pleasure to spend time with. I didn’t happen to have any security or health issues or concerns.
A Broader View was incredible in preparing us for this journey. I was very nervous, but ABV took us step by step through all the processes we need to ready us for this trip. Also, we felt very comfortable asking questions and they were immediately responsive.
Overall my experience in Ghana was one that I enjoyed. My host family was wonderful; the locals are friendly and the landscapes are breathtaking. I cannot wait to come back to Ghana as a traveler to see more of the country.
Volunteer opportunities: Social programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Accra (Code: ACC)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Tourist Visa. Expect rural living conditions
- Age Limits: Minimum 17yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 16 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: British Air, Delta, United, KLM, Lufthansa
- Vaccinations: Yellow Fever, Malaria, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Home Stay or onsite in Orphanage
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and greet by ABV Staff
- Orientation: Project Overview and Orientation
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Ghana. Entry Visa. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet