Volunteer Name: Jenny Reyes
Project Location: Bulenga Village, Uganda
Program Dates: 07/24/2013-08/07/2013
Volunteered at: Orphanage Center
What was your favorite memory of this trip?
- My favorite memory of this trip was being able to connect with the people I met in Uganda. It was very humbling to hear their stories and a pleasure to be in their presence.
What was the most difficult thing you experienced?
- The most difficult thing I experienced is not knowing how I can effectively teach the children with limited resources.
What was the one thing you wished you were better prepared for?
- I wish I brought more supplies to support the organization.
Any tips for future volunteers… (clothing, travel, personal items, donations, sightseeing etc)
- You don't need a lot of clothes. Regular T-shirts, pants, long skirts, and comfortable shoes are highly recommended. Avoid bringing anything white. Bring extra money to help students pay for uniforms, food, etc.
How would you describe/rate your experience working with the ABV staff in the USA?
- The ABV staff responded to my questions/concerns right away. I was very well pleased with the support they provided me prior and after leaving the project.
How was the local ABV Director and the support provided in-country?
- The local ABV Director was very informative. She checked up with me daily while in the foreign country to make sure I was doing well.
Personal Paragraph (ABV Program Testimonial):
There is nothing like volunteering overseas. It has allowed me to broaden my understanding towards different cultures and has given me a new perspective on life. It made me realize how fortunate I am to even have clean water and food on the table, everyday.
Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers?
A Broader View Volunteer (ABV) allows every traveler to choose their own program start date. This means you can arrive on any flight, any day of the week. Since ABV program fees are 100% tax deductible* we encourage you to fund raise. ABV offers advice and assistance with flight planning, affordable travel insurance, as well as procuring a visa, if necessary. Our ABV staff is available to any your questions. Contact us by email, through the on-line chat feature on our website or call us toll free at 866-423-3258.