This institution provides supervision and care of toddler and young children during the day time, so that their parents can hold a job. Daycare is best when teacher-to-child ratios are low and groups aren't too large. This is where our volunteers can help! This program is open to all international volunteers who enjoy working with small children and who like to spend time playing with them, and helping the teacher and the staff in charge of the children to do basic tasks with them.
General Tasks & Main Responsibilities: The most important requirements for this volunteer program are: Hard working skills, responsibility and enthusiasm. You might find yourself involved in any of the following:
- Help the teacher with the planned class activities.
- Teach Basic English to the children.
- Play games and sing with the children in English.
- Take children to the bathroom and help them wash their hands.
- Teach about basic hygiene.
- Help children to complete projects.
- Help other teachers (P.E., Arts, Music, etc.) according to your abilities and your Spanish level.
- Help in the Day Care’s Kitchen & Dining Room, by serving meals, eating with the children, washing dishes, etc.
Important: Program is closed the first 2 weeks of July, and from the 3rd week of December to the 2nd week of February every year.
ONLY Friday, Saturday or Sunday arrival: flight must arrive before 8pm (no exceptions) to San Jose. The orientation is same or next day.
Volunteer Opportunities: Children Support Program
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Arrival Airport: San Jose (SJO) Juan Santamaría International Airport.
- Work Schedule: Varies depending on the school shifts. Minimum 5 hours per day.
- Requirements: Basic Spanish, independent bus ride to/from project site.
- Age Limits: Minimum 18 years or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 years if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, US Airways, Copa, Taca, Avianca, Spirit Airways.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov/
- Accommodation: Host Families.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.
- Laundry: One free Once a week.
- Internet: available in some host families and projects
- Arrival: Airport (SJO) meet and greet by ABV Staff and Airport transfer on arrival to San Jose
- Orientation: Orientation upon arrival.
- Support: Full time in-country ABV Coordinator. 24/7 emergency contact number.
- Departure: Transfer back to the airport at the end of the program.
- Flights. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Internet (Only available in some host families and projects). Any extra activities and excursions or tours not described on the planned itinerary.