La Mesa, Cundinamarca is one of the main Colombian coffee producer that belong to the Tequendama Region in Colombia with more than 1000 small coffee farms associated in small groups of families and managed mainly by organised women. It has developed and implemented policies and quality standards, based on knowledge that helps to regulate, control, educate and assess the farms and farmers to achieve good quality coffee beans in order to position and place the production of coffee brands National and Internationally. Colombian coffee is 100 % washed Arabica, making Colombia the largest producer of quality coffee in the world.
Farmers now days are struggling a lot to find human resources to work in their farms. This is the main income for small farmers and they cannot afford big investments. That is why the help of volunteers is so important for them. Volunteer with us and you will have the opportunity to work in different farms.
We require volunteers to help and to be involved in all areas of the coffee production. From cleaning trails, nursery preparation, sowing, harvesting, planting, washing, drying, packaging.
This program can be combined with Spanish Immersion lessons and or other programs in the area (Teaching at the School, Geriatric Centre). Programs are for males only or couples.
Volunteer Opportunity: Community Development
- Project Duration: From 4 week to 8 weeks
- Project Dates: Mid Jan thru November. * Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: El Dorado, Bogota City Airport (BOG)
- Requirements: Advance Spanish, medical credentials/enrollment
- Accommodations: Local Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Avianca, Taca, Air France, TAP Portugal, Iberia
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid www.nc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in San Javier, La Mesa
- Airport meets and greet in Bogotá City.
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 30-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 8:00am - 5:00pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Bogotá City airport
- Flights to Colombia. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet