Experienced professionals (medical/nursing) as well as 3rd/4th year medical/nursing students are welcome. In Kathmandu we are partners with a general, community hospital (nonprofit) that serves the poor. The patients are primarily from rural villages. The hospital is quite busy with a caseload of approximately 200 per day. This is a full-service hospital and you will rotate all phases of care and all departments including a remarkable change to scrub-in and observe surgery.
* We stress this is mainly an observational program. Advanced medical students “may” have the chance to do more if they can win the confidence of the stab. Still, it’s a rare chance to get deep inside hospital operations, learn from doctors and watch interesting surgical procedures, all things that could not be in western hospitals.
This program is combined with an opportunity to visit and partake in a rural village clinic project in Sipaghat. Here you may have more hands on patient care, based on the needs of the local staff. The village hospital has a full time doctor and English speaking support staff on site. Volunteers will stay in the assigned volunteer house which is a 5 minute walk to the hospital. Volunteers need to come with their own medical scrubs, gloves, disposal masks and stethoscope.
*Pre-medical and medical volunteers required to pay US$200 administrative fee for the Nepal hospital. This extra fee is collected by ABV during the final payment this is for all health related placements.
- Project Length: From 4 week to 8 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Host Family/Shared House
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Qatar, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet