You will have the opportunity to assess, participate, and have your hands on different procedures under the supervision of a dental professional. The dental department at this hospital carry on procedures in operative, endodontics, extraction, cleaning prophylaxis, oral hygienist, education on promotion and prevention in oral health, root canals, tooth extraction, accompanying maxillofacial professionals and orthodontists in operation rooms. The average number of patients per professional per day is 27, organized more campaigns in oral health and thus improve oral status of the population.
- Must be enrolled in dental course in your home country. Pre-dental students are welcome to come and shadow and offer non evasive procedure support.
- 2 white scrubs required, white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic dental tools, mask and gloves.
- Dental volunteers required to pay US$100 for each month they volunteer, for administrative fee for the La Mesa hospital/clinic. This extra fee is collected by ABV during the final payment this is for all health related placements.
Volunteer Colombia opportunities: Dental program
- Project Duration: From 1 week up to 8 weeks
- Project Dates: Year Round. Arrival/Departures weekends
- Arrival airport: El Dorado, Bogota City Airport (BOG)
- Requirements: Advance Spanish, medical credentials/enrollment
- Accommodations: Local Host Family
- Meals: Week 3 meals, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca, Air France, Iberia.
- Immunizations: Routine Vac, Hep - A and typhoid www.nc.cdc.gov
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday. 30-40 hours a week
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7.
- Departure: Transfer to El Dorado Airport Bogota.
- Flights to Colombia. Roundtrip transfer cost from airport to project location. Visa and/or airport entry fees and exit. Vaccinations. Local Transport. Travel & Medical Insurance. Laundry and internet connection.