Volunteers with advanced Spanish and medical/nursing training are needed and welcome in this La Mesa hospital. The hospital daily patients vary from 200-300 people.
Medical students and professionals will help with procedures such as: taking vitals, charting patients, accompany doctors on rounds and consultations in different areas within the hospital. Departments in the hospital include A&E, observation room, outpatient, pediatrics, internal medicine, obstetrics, gynecology, surgery), observation of surgical procedures, midwifery, and prenatal among others.
Nursing students and professionals will be in contact with patients to help take electrocardiograms, intravenous pipes and catheters, wound care, personal care, immunizations, preparation and administration of medications, review of medical orders, update transcript and medication cards, support care in different venues such as prenatal, postnatal and breastfeeding, among others.
We need volunteers with advanced level of Spanish. This is a great opportunity to improve your skills, knowledge, resume, language, learn about medicine in a developing country. *This program can be combined with Spanish classes.
*Pre-medical and medical volunteers required to pay US$100 administrative fee for the La Mesa hospital. This extra fee is collected by ABV during the final payment this is for all health related placements.
Volunteer Medical Opportunities: Nurses, Doctors and Dentist
- Project Duration: From 1 week up to 8 weeks
- Project Dates: Year Round. Arrival/Departures weekends
- Arrival airport: El Dorado, Bogota City Airport (BOG)
- Requirements: Advance Spanish, medical credentials/enrollment
- Accommodations: Local Host Family
- Meals: Week 3 meals, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca, Air France, Iberia.
- Immunizations: Routine Vac, Hep - A and typhoid www.nc.cdc.gov
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday. 30-40 hours a week
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7.
- Departure: Transfer to El Dorado Airport Bogota.
- Flights to Colombia. Roundtrip transfer cost from airport to project location. Visa and/or airport entry fees and exit. Vaccinations. Local Transport. Travel & Medical Insurance. Laundry and internet connection.