In Guatemala there are networks of public health centers offering free of charge care. One of these centers is located in the town of Alotenango, located about 6 miles outside of Antigua. This is a fully outpatient environment and caters to poor families living in this rural community. Health care trained volunteers, and medical mission groups are welcome. Spanish speaking volunteers with a health back ground (medical/nursing students, EMT) are welcome.
Activities / Requirements: You will help with routine tasks; charting, assessing patients, exams, injections, health checks, and shadowing the local medical staff. We need volunteers with Intermediate Spanish knowledge. Bring your own medical supplies such as scrubs, gloves, mask, stethoscope. This is a great chance to improve your skills, learn about medicine in a developing nation and improve your Spanish. *This program can be combined with Language Immersion classes.
*Volunteers need to arrive in Guatemala in the morning. Last bus to Xela departs at 3:00pm. Overnight in Guatemala city is not included in cost of program. Departure flights from Guatemala City need to be scheduled after 2:00PM.
- Project length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year Round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
- Requirements: Proficiency in Spanish or Spanish Immersion lessons
- Accommodation: Local Host Family
- Meals: 3 per day M-F, 2 meals Saturday, no meals Sunday
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Avianca, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Guatemala City
- Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City.
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work can be: 7:00am - 4:30pm with lunch break
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: Transfer to Guatemala City airport
- Flights to Guatemala. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet