Volunteers with medical/nursing training (2 year onward) are welcome to join this project. You will be assigned to a local registered medical professional/staff (trainer). To participate in a medical mission you must submit a copy of your certifications, or letter from the medical/nursing school confirming enrollment.
You will be able to rotate through different departments at a Children and Women’s hospital including. For in-patient care there are more than 50 beds. Hospital provides the following specialist treatment on daily basis i.e. 24 hours emergency, ICU, NICU, Pediatric medicine and surgery, Neo natal service, Obstetrics and Gynecology, orthopedic, Eye, ENT, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, General medicine, Dental, Ultrasonography, pathology, radiology, vaccination, pharmacy service, etc.
Volunteers may have the chance to scrub in and observe various surgeries and wards. The most common being Pediatric surgery deals with comprehensive surgical care of children, from newborns to 18 year olds. Senior and experienced surgeons provide round-the-clock care. The surgeons are skilled in the handling of the very delicate and miniature tissues of babies.
Senior, experienced and eminent pediatric consultants of the country are available at this Hospital. Some of the consultant pediatricians are trained abroad in their respective field and they bring rich experience of treating children and women.
Medical volunteers required to pay US$100 monthly administrative fee for the Nepal hospital. This extra fee is collected by ABV during the final payment.
White scrubs are required, white comfortable shoes or white sneakers and bring basic tools as: oximeter, stethoscope, strip thermometer, gloves, mask, cleaning wipes, blue & red pens.
Volunteer Opportunities: Health Care Programs
- Project Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Kathmandu (KTM)
- Accommodation: Homestay/Shared Guesthouse
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner daily
- Airlines: Turkish Air, Qatar Air, Malaysian Airways, Air India, Jet Airways, Thai Air, Ethiad
- Vaccinations: Typhoid and Hep A wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Kathmandu
- Airport meet and greet in Kathmandu. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work: 4-6 hours in morning, 4-6 hours in the afternoon
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Nepal. Entry Visa. Departure taxes. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.