Thousands of children in India end up living on city streets struggling to find food or shelter. An uneven proportion of these children are female since India society still struggles with gender inequality and female-foeticide. Because of this there is an increasing number of abandoned baby girls on streets or orphanages. In Jaipur the orphanage homes we support are female dominated for this reason. The orphanage homes struggle to provide millions of children with a roof over their head, food, education, healthcare and many more other things to bring them to better level.
Volunteers help the children in different ways: they became a teacher, a counsellor, a confidant to the kids they work with. Volunteers have to play a very important role on this project because the children are far from understanding the structure of family and relatives. Volunteer tasks are to spend quality time with the kids, teach them proper hygiene and health lessons, teaching English and help with reading. Also chores like cleaning the orphanage, food preparation, and planning fun activities like games and sports ideas are helpful.
*Imp: The transportation in not included to the program. The transportation cost is around US$2 - 4 a day by Tuk-tuk (motorcycle ride) can be divided between 2 - 3 volunteers (6 to 10km ride).
Volunteer Opportunities: Children Care programs
- Project length: From 2 week to 8 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Jaipur International Airport (JAI)
- Accommodation: Local host family/Shared volunteer House
- Meals: 3 per day (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
- Airlines: Jet airways, Spice jet, Etihad, Indigo, Go Air, Air India etc.
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep A, typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Jaipur City
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 25-40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing, camel safari, elephant safari, Taj Mahal etc.
- Typical shift work can be: 11:00am - 6:30pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Pick-up from Jaipur Airport
- A detailed orientation about India, ABV projects, facts about India, cultural responsibility and things to remember in India
- Accommodation with local host family or in shared volunteer house. Expect shared rooms (double/triple accommodations)
- All meals (Authentic Indian meals) Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
- Project visit with supervisor
- Resource materials to use on project
- Weekly market visit to shop for your necessities
- One party & dinner out to experience the new India
- Sessions on India about the India in reality v/s India in news
- Airport drop at Jaipur airport
- Emergency support
- Airfare, visa, Insurance, local transportation, vaccinations, local sightseeing and all personal expenses. Cultural classes like Hindi class, Indian dress workshop, Yoga class, cooking class only for the volunteers who stays in ABV house (Fees Apply)