Volunteer at an all girls home in Granada. There are 25 girls growing up in a safe and caring environment. This is a home for girls who have been mistreated, abused, raped, or their carers struggle to provide for them as they themselves may have been affected by a life of drug addiction or prostitution
The girls enter the home from any age from 4-14 and can stay up until 18 when their schooling is completed. The girls follow a definite structure to the day, cleaning and washing clothes early in the morning and then school. The schooling is outside the home, which means the girls do not become institutionalised. The staff/nuns teach them how to defend for themselves with basic life skills ranging from sewing to washing their clothes to cooking. Volunteers offer the girls need a sympathetic ear, a helping hand with their everyday tasks and good assistance with their homework.
Strong Spanish skills are required. This project is minimum 4 weeks. This program can also be combined with the Language and Cultural Immersion program
- Project Length: From 4 week to 8 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Managua (Code: MGA)
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8 hours per day
- Requirements: Advance Spanish
- Age Limits: Minimum 18yrs or older for solo travelers.
- Minimum Age: 12 to 17 yrs if traveling with parents.
- Airlines: American, United, Delta, Spirit, Taca
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Accommodation: Host Family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Arrival: Airport meet and Greet (Volunteer pays for taxi to Granada US$45)
- Orientation: Project Overview On-Site
- Support: Pre-trip written guide, In-country ABV staff available 24/7
- Departure: Airport Transfer (Volunteer pays for taxi to Managua Airport US$45)
- Flights to Nicaragua. Taxi airport Managua-Granada-Managua. Entry Visa (US$35). Departure taxes, some airlines include this fee in the airfare. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet.