Volunteer Peru This Home Care is located on the outskirts of Arequipa and it hosts 25 boys between 4 years old to 18 years old. The mission of the Home Care is to improve and enrich the lives of this boys who have been negatively affected by social exclusion and who have not been given the basic types of attention that they need, such as; care, security, food, education and health. All of the children have either experienced moral and material abandonment or were judged to be at social risk from their parents who may be prostitutes, alcoholics, drug addicts or thieves. The Home aims to guarantee the harmonious development of the children with particular attention to protection, care, nutrition, education, health, and mental, physical, artistic and spiritual development.
Working in the Home as a volunteer, is both a touching and educational experience. As a volunteer you will have the unique experience of working intimately within a new culture, and will surely develop close relationships with the boys and the staff. Some daily tasks include cleaning the bedrooms, washing clothes, fixing old clothes, going to the market, helping in the kitchen, serving the food, cleaning of the kitchen and helping the kids with their homework. This program is only for male volunteers.
*Imp: The transportation in not included to the program. The transportation (round trip) cost is around US$1 by bus or US$8 by taxi can be divided between 2 - 3 volunteers (35 min ride approx 2 miles).
(***Arrival to Arequipa must be done between 7am and 7pm local time***)
- Project length: From 1 weeks to 12 weeks
- Project dates: 30 February to 01 December
- Arrival airport: Arequipa (AQP) via Lima connection
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Requirements: Basic Spanish or Spanish Immersion lessons while in country. Only male volunteers for this program
- Program donation: US$50 payable with the program fees.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Airlines: Lan Peru, Taca (Avianca), Peruvian, LCPeru
- Vaccinations: Routine Vac, Hep-A and Typhoid wwwnc.cdc.gov
- Program starts and ends in Arequipa.
- Airport meet and greet in Arequipa. Next day city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 35 hours per week.
- Weekends free to sightseeing and afternoons free to explore the city
- Typical shift work hours are 10 am – 5 p.m.
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet